Ukuhlolwa kwezinto okhe wazenza
Keeping our Airbnb family safe is one of our top priorities. If we have at least an accurate first name, last name, and date of birth for a Host or guest, we’ll perform a background check at the following times (only in the USA and India):
- Guests: 10 days before the check-in date of their reservation (or later in the case of bookings within 10 days of check-in)
- Hosts: When the Host logs in after creating a listing, or when a stay or experience is booked—whichever comes first
How they work and what they entail
- We submit the above information to one of our approved background check providers
- They check the person’s identity against public records or available databases, as outlined below:
For everyone who transacts on Airbnb: We check the OFAC list, which includes terrorist designations.
For those who live in the US: We check certain databases of public state and county criminal records as well as state and national sex offender registries.
For those who live outside the US: We may, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and to the extent available, obtain the local version of background or registered sex offender checks.
What they mean for you
Find out how the results of a background check can impact your stay or your ability to use Airbnb.
Why you can’t rely on them alone
Background checks aren’t the only factor to consider when deciding whether a guest or Host is suitable—they don’t guarantee that a person won’t break the law in the future.
Why? Because background checks have limitations. Sure, they may help identify past criminal conduct or other red flags where records are available, but not always:
- There may be gaps in public record searches due to the way certain databases are maintained
- Online databases might only be updated periodically by local governments—which Airbnb doesn’t control or direct
As a result, these database checks may not reveal comprehensive or recent criminal record activity. Continue to use your own judgment and follow these sensible safety tips.